Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Beetle Sumo

The fascination with watching bugs kill each other must be a male childhood thing. I remember while growing up, my cousin used to enjoy jarring caterpillars and watching them squirm in water. Then there were the silk worms he had as pets - ones which always effortlessly get attached to my hair that I can never get out. Hmm, no wonder I turned out so well.

I would have to reevaluate the world when the IWBC (Insect World Battle Championships) go international.



p.s. per comment trail, found a pic of mr.beady look-a-like (on right).
some may still remember him w/fond memories. may he RIP..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I grew up in the Prince George's county (aka the ghetto), so bugs, especially cockroaches, were my friends. Friends that I constantly squished and flushed down the toilet.

*enolamai* said...

girls on the other hand would just keep them as pets - like oprah.

Doug said...

Well you do have a picture of a Japanese kid up there, so I'm sure you know about the whole Japanese rhino beetle (kabuto mushi,甲虫) thing.

All the boys love em and raise em as pets and stuff... they even have kabutomushi stores with food for them and stuff, and they'll sell you larvae so you can raise your own. Then they have them fight like little pokemon or something... thus the spawning of beetle sumo.

For more Japanese randomness, check out what I found out about a few months back: baby sumo crying contests!

http://ddurgee.blogspot.com/2007/04/weird-festivals-in-japan.html

*enolamai* said...

if i only knew! but i had a gray pet rhino beetle one time (mr.beady) and he wasn't aggressive at all.. maybe i had to get a small beetle for him to fight with to build up his confidence??

Doug said...

Gray? Weird... I saw this thing on tv about how there are different rhino beetles all over the world broken up by region. They're totally obsessed with those things here.

Maybe you could throw some bug 'roids in there with his... bug food. Whatever bugs eat, I dunno.

*enolamai* said...

mr.beady's cousin's pix attached. beautiful isn't he? i found him in the parking lot after work one day... it was meant to be since 1)he avoided being run over and 2)my car was the last one in the lot and 3)he was in the direct path of me and my car.

we fed him peaches.. but he died of "natural" causes....um...yea..