Got back from a weekend in Vegas for DEFCON, the "largest and oldest continuously running hacker and computer security convention in the world." To start, all con goers received badges with micro controllers running on a circuit board that's designed for the attendees' hacking pleasure. Read about the coolness here and here.
Pure MADNESS would be an accurate description of this sausage fest/con. I feel minuscule and belittled in my profession after attending what seemed to be the hacker slash electronic Mecca for all professional geeks. It was awesome. I wish I was at the level to compete with ninjas all over the hacking world to earn bragging rights on who "penetrated" who first. A popular term used in reference to security breaches I'm still getting used to. Although, I've learned that watching geeks in action can also be an amusing pastime.

There were contests and talks all over the place. Hacker teams in war rooms trying to destroy each other, lock picking contests, and people cracking lamb jokes in every room - common nerd humor.

Learned that there is a community of lock picking enthusiasts who share the eccentric devotion to locksporting, an actual organized hobby around the world...! I happily picked up my own lock picking set so I can quicky learn how to pick my own doors and maybe handcuffs, below's the emergency wallet-sized version.

It was a productive weekend....in a subdued Vegas sorta way if such a scenario was ever to exist.
1 comment:
omg jenny...you are such a dork LOLOLOL
Post a Comment