Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Pre-30s Fixation on Nothing

Who knew a full bag of Doritos could be such a satiating dinner. If my name was Doris, I'd name one of my pets Doritos. I'd just have to.

First post of the year. Been busy, but on auto-pilot. Thought everything would be more concise and certain by now. It would seem that for most people turning 30, they would either have unconsciously accepted their societal carbon copy of an existence where money, family, and stability will drive the rest of their lives or have found some road less traveled to sustain a more abstract lifestyle. But most of us probably just fall somewhere in between and find ourselves resisting this modularized conformism in our early 30s before finally accepting the dire fate of normalcy once we find a socially acceptable (personally, semi-tolerable) hobby to compensate and/or mask our lameness. Current state, hobbyless.

Maybe there are better choice words to describe the above, but oh wells.

1 comment:

Haoest said...

Auto-pilot, I lost count of how many times that self realization come up in my head riding the metro in the morning. It feels like, in computer science terms, executing a short infinite loop, repeating the same few tasks day by day, in the exact deterministic order.

Chance has it that biographies of Mozart, Napoleon, Author Clark, Isaac Asimov, Ayn Rand, and many others, felt on my lap. I found great inspiration from them. They went through their entire lives laboriously, productively, and creatively, securing a place in human history. I don't see why we don't at least give it a try.